Wasco Tribune - Serving the community since 1970

By Toni DeRosa
Wasco Tribune 

Home access grants available for people with disabilities


Last updated 9/14/2020 at 4:18am | View PDF

If you have a disability, accessibility improvements on your home are still available through the Kern County Home Access Grant Program.

If, for example, you need to widen your doorways for wheelchair access, provide a ramp with handrails going up and down stairs, or you might need a handicapped accessible toilet or your tub replaced by an accessible shower, all these items are available through the program.

The grants are available to those with a physical disability who desire a better quality of life.

If you are living in a low-income household within a Kern County Planning and Natural Resources Department area, all you need to do is provide income verification for everyone living in the residence.

Rental and owner-occupied property can be improved under the program. In every case, the owner of the property needs to agree to the improvements.

The applicant must have a permanent disability, which restricts access to or around the residence.

The disability must be verified by a primary physician familiar with the disability.

The application and the doctor evaluation will both be reviewed, and the KC Planning and Natural Resources Department will contact the applicant for an inspection of the residence to determine the specific needs and evaluate eligibility.

All work must be completed by a California licensed and insured contractor.

For an application and additional information, contact Kandi Mosqueda at (661) 862-5024.


Reader Comments(0)


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Ofop 400x58 Shafterpress
Ofop 400x58 Wascotribune

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2023