Serving the community since 1970

Options for disposing of hazardous waste

The Kern County Public Works Department is providing dates for collection of household hazardous waste to the outlying communities of Kern County during the month of October. All of these events are 9 a.m.-noon and are for Kern County residents’ household residential waste only. No commercial or business waste will be accepted.

The schedule is:

--Saturday, Oct. 5 – Tehachapi Recycling & Sanitary Landfill, 12001 E. Tehachapi Blvd., Tehachapi.

--Saturday, Oct. 19 – Taft Recycling & Sanitary Landfill, 13351 Elk Hills Rd., Taft.

--Saturday, Oct. 26– Boron Recycling & Sanitary Landfill, 11400 Boron Ave., Boron.

Residential hazardous waste can also be dropped off at these Kern County special waste facilities:

--Saturday, Oct. 12 and Saturday, Oct. 26, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. -- The Ridgecrest Kern County Special Waste Facility, 3301 W. Bowman Road (at the Ridgecrest Recycling & Sanitary Landfill).

--Every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 8 a.m.-4p.m. -- The Metro Kern County Special Waste Facility, 4951 Standard St., Bakersfield.

What is household hazardous waste? Residential hazardous wastes are products purchased for use in or around the home that, when improperly discarded, may threaten human health or the environment. These products include household cleaners, deodorizers, some personal hygiene products, pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, pet care products, paint products, photographic chemicals, swimming pool chemicals, automotive products and fluids.

Even if a product can be easily purchased at a local store, it can still be harmful. Caution is required, as transporting household hazardous waste can be dangerous. Follow these safety guidelines:

--Transport no more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of waste per trip and no more than 5 gallons per single container.

-Make sure containers are not leaking and are properly labeled.

--Do not mix materials.

--Keep wastes separated and away from passengers.

--Visit for detailed guidelines.

—Kern County Public Works Department


Reader Comments(0)